Thursday, February 17, 2011

So... six months have passed and I have finally gotten over the horror of the creation of this blog and everything that went into it.

I would like to now use it to talk about issues that directly affect my life as a special education teacher. My first topic is that of technology...the dreadful beast that drug me, kicking and screaming into the 21st century.


I am evaluated on the use of technology with my students. I have been given an Ipod touch and a Netbook to accomplish this. I love having these tools in my room, and have used them with my kids.

The problem is, I always have a twinge of guilt when I hand over the IPod. As soon as they have the little device in their hands, all language stops. All interaction stops. They disappear into a quiet, withdrawn world.

I feel like their brains are screaming, "Talk to me!"

I deal with children with reading and writing deficits, brought on by a plethora of circumstances.

Why would I choose to give them an object that puts a halt to language and interaction?

I think I am shooting myself in the foot!

Technology is great. It opens so many doors for our kids. It has it's place in the classroom. It is needed for our kids to be competent in the world and work force.

I understand this.

However, I made a different choice today. I allowed my kids to work a puzzle. I wish you could hear the language and see the face to face interaction! They are working together to accomplish a goal. They are talking to each other about what to do next. They are learning how to be friends. They are smiling and strategizing.

Today has been a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment